ABS SPEED SENSOR

1998 Mercedes Benz 500sl

1998 Mercedes Benz 500sl V8 67000 miles

My engine light is on. The mechanic decided to repair ABS speed sensor without no problems at all with the brakes. There was no brake light or symptoms with the speed for him to repair the ABS speed sensor. The engine light is still on and I took the car back and only to find him messing with the electronic machine that removes the light temporarily.

I thought after he repairs the sensors the engine light will automatically go away unless he did not do his job in which case the light will still be on. I paid the guy for replacing ABS and for the chemical cleaner. Does he need the chemical cleaner if he is replacing the ABS speed sensor. Is it OK to replace ABS speed sensor without no brake light, ABS light or no problems nor symptoms of speed nor brake issues.

Does the code 0500 means the ABS needs repair or he chose to repair a more expensive sensor versus a cam or crankshaft position sensor. When I asked him to specify 0500 he said that means the speed sensor. When I checked the codes all I saw was VSS rear or front sensor but not specifically ABS.
Makgold