LURCHING SHIFT

1988 Mercedes Benz 500sl

1988 Mercedes Benz 500sl V8 Two Wheel Drive Automatic 36105 miles

I have noticed a lurching as the car shifts between all gears at a lower RPM, but not nearly as noticeable at higher RPM's. The car was not driven much for the last 12-15 years, it was recently check out by my mechanic who found no issues. Is this an inherent problem/charachteristic in this car, is it normal or is there something I need to have checked further? I would appreciate any information, as I don't want to damage or further damage what seems to me to be a nearly flawless vehicle, minus the drooping visors?
Craig l

HI there,

Thank You for the donation,

I would have the transmission tested by a dedicated transmission specialist and preferably one with Benz experiences, if the transmission as be idle for some time, internal seals and dry out, crack and shrink, this can cause internal pressure leaks with in the hydraulic system the controls system pressures, a specialist transmission tech can do a series of tests to determine if this is the case, do not use any transmission additives that offer magic fixes as they can cause more problems along the way.

Mhpautos