BELTS

1994 Mercedes Benz 320e

Drive Train Axles Bearings problem
1994 Mercedes Benz 320e 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 223000 miles

I have just spent $500 for repairs to an engine gasket leak, and when the car was returned to me, the following morning, when I started it up the squealing noise that came from this car for more than 40 seconds was earsplitting. It stopped eventuallly and since that time, when I start it back up cold it makes this loud noise.
This did not happen ever, until My car had been worked on.

Since I just spend this sum on having the valve cover
gasket seals and upper timing seals replaced, as well as new electric connectors, is there any responsibility that my auto repair shop needs to take in dealing with this matter?
I understand that these belts have probably never been replaced, and I understand that this is work that I need to have attended to, but should't this problem have been pointed out to me while the entire area was being worked on. Instead of 3 days later when I brought the car back to the shop with my complaint?
Kimz49