INCONSISTANT COOLING

1983 Mercedes Benz 300td

Air Conditioning problem
1983 Mercedes Benz 300td Two Wheel Drive Automatic

I am having a problem with my air conditioning. There is a fluctuation in temperature of the air from normal cold to extremely hot and then back to cool and then back to hot with the ac turned on. All of the vents seem to be the same.
C.bartholomew

Have you checked the AC pressure?

Dr Loot
Vacuum pressure? Pressure in the ac system? Thank you for your time and responce

C.bartholomew
Actually there seems to be a connection with the auxiliary fan. I have noticed that when the fan is running is when the ac works and when it's off the ac blows warm air.

C.bartholomew
If AC auxiliary fan is shutting down, it may be low on pressure.

Dr Loot
Sorry, but how do you check the pressure?

C.bartholomew
Checking the high sure what a low-pressure side of the AC will require special tools that you can purchase at your local parts store, the more I think about it it sounds like it is low on 130-A one of the signs of low-pressure in the AC is that the compressor cycles on and off, what you could do is go to your local parts store they sell a pound can of 134-A that you can install yourself I would install one can and see what it acts like.

Dr Loot
I'm sorry, I don't understand what the relationship is between the axiliarey fan is to the ac?

C.bartholomew
When the air conditioner turns on the auxiliary fan turns on, if for any reason the A/C compressor shuts off due to low pressure than the auxiliary fan will also shut off. That is indication that the A/C compressor is cycling if the fan is also cycling to.

Dr Loot