ENGINE OF FUEL PROBLEM?

1990 Mercedes Benz 300sd

1990 Mercedes Benz 300sd 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 178568 miles

I have a 1990 Mercedes 300E, and three days before I deployed I was driving to work and only got four blocks away and it died (like it had bad gas) it was real hard to start and had to keep it at a high RPM to make it home. So I got home and changed the fuel filter and put some heat in the fuel and the next day the same problem. As if it is only happening when something heats up. I guess before a break my wallet taking it to a repair man I will do the repair myself. But before I dump a couple hundred dollars on a new fuel pump or what ever it is I might want to be sure that is the problem. Any help you can send my way would be very helpful, I get home in 11 days. Thanks for your help, A1C Shawn Roberge USAF
Shawn roberge