IGNITION LOCK CYLINDER DOESN'T TURN

1984 Mercedes Benz 190d

1984 Mercedes Benz 190d 4 cyl Automatic

84 190 D/ignition switch positions not well defined but works/I washed engine (running) & unknowingly fractured a vacume T going to the brake booster/car would not turn off/ignition key would come out but remained running/Popped hood, found fracture & held it together & instantly shut off/then. The failing ignition lock froze along with steering wheel, but stick shift is free. I ordered a new ignition switch & cover but the shop is 50 miles & I'm short on $. Because the key won't turn in the ACC position, nobody round here can change it out. I found a locksmith for $200 Am I on the right track? Could the key not function due to something other than a damaged lock cylinder? What are my options?
59norman59

Have you tried lubricating the lock cylinder? Do you have the second back-up key? Does your key look like it is worn? You will need special tools to remove the ignition switch from the dash, $200 sounds reasonable you may want to jump on it.

Dr Loot