DX 1.6 CLUTCH ISSUES

2001 Mazda Protege

I have a 01 Protege DX 1.6 with 72K i am only the second owner....over the winter my car was stuck in the snow and when trying to get it out i heard a snap and even when the clutch was engaged i couldnt find a single gear...my shifter moved in a complete circle. i turned the car off started it back up and it was fine(besides the horrible smell of clutch) this was about 4 months ago and it had been running great and then about 2 weeks ago, my car started acting up...it started with a noise when i push the clutch pedal in...(like i could hear the cable grabbing and it feel it like a click click click noise) then since then it would start tach-ing in mid gear like i was on the clutch when i really wasn't. And it just snowballed downhill from there it got to the point where even 20mph in 5th and my car was close to redlimiter and now it fails to move more than a few inches. im confused since my car shifts perfect still the clutch still grabs high like it always has (the pedal never needs to be depressed more than half way down) it doesnt stall out on me...

is the whole clutch bad or just maybe a cable? any suggestions are great. thanks so much

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/75520_548551297_l_1.jpg

Lrdespres17