'COOLING' LINE FROM POWER STEERING RESER

1999 Mazda Protege

Steering problem
1999 Mazda Protege 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Manual 89,000 miles

I have a power steering fluid leak in what I suspect is a factory designed cooling line. This line runs from the reservoir to front of the car under the radiator and then loops back into the (what I suspect) is the power steering unit.
The line uses some rubber hoses for connections & turns and metal lines that run in front of car, under the radiator. This metal line is 'naturally' pretty corroded and I can see an area, in front, that is leaking power steering fluid.
QUESTION: Should I find and replace this part. OR can this 'cooling loop line' be eliminated & just connect the line out of the reservoir directly to the power steering unit. The line out of reservoir & line into the unit are rubber hoses and be a simple connedtion with hose clamps (I believe).
Epbeechey

Hi epbeechey,

Thank you for the donation.

I would recommend replacing the pipes as they are required for cooling. Overheating of the fluids would cause premature wear/hardening of seals in the steering system.

As the pipes are at the lower section of vehicle, road salts would tend to cause them to corrode so it is something that we have to live with.