2001 Mazda Other

2001 Other Mazda Models 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 85000 miles

I have a 2001 Mazda Millenia. Periodiocally the engine light goes on, and sometimes the hold light flashes. The speedomiet can sometimes not even register, and when you punch the accelorator while driving the speedmoter drops to zero then promptly snaps back. This is predominate in cold starts, and in winter and less frequent in the summer months. I took it in for service and received the answer that this is a fault code 1720, and that it needs a speedo sensor which is in the speedo head. $2329 plus tax to replace ! So I decided not to get it rpeaired. This was some time ago and the problem is still perevalent. I see speedo senors for as low as $25. Am I getting conned by the dealership, and how would I go about replacing the speedo sensor. Is this something I could do on my own?
John Neilson