P0420 CODE

1999 Mazda Miata

Computer problem
1999 Mazda Miata 4 cyl Two Wheel Drive Manual 43000 miles

The catalytic converter on my 99 Miata with 43K miles was replaced a month ago. Last week, the check engine light came on and I pulled the P0420 code off. Does the computer need to be reprogrammed when the catalytic converter is replaced?
Miataowner37377

No, what kind of cat. Did you put on it? If it was anything other than OE from the dealer, then that is most likely your problem. Why did you replace it and do you have any other codes?

Stevew84
I purchased the car from a dealer on 07/28/09. Prior to purchasing, I spoke with the previous owner and asked if he had recently replaced the catalytic converter. He said yes that he bought an OEM from Advance Auto Parts and it cost him $595.00. He did not offer any additional information. I used my OBD-II reader to look for trouble codes or pending codes and there were none. After purchasing the car (on the 140 mile drive home) the check engine light came on. My OBD-II reader gave the P0420 code. I have turned it off twice but each time it has come back on. Any thoughts as to if something else could be causing a rich condition and throwing this code?

Miataowner37377
Yeah, the advance auto converter is junk. If you want that light to stay off then you should buy a cat from the dealer. Also, are all the monitors set?

Stevew84
I suspected the Advance part was not up to OEM standards. What do you mean by " are all the monitors set?&Quot;

Miataowner37377
The PCM monitors usually about 8 things on the car like cat converter, oxygen sensor, EVAP, etc. In your code reader there should be an option on checking monitors. When you click on that option It should say " ready" or " not ready" or " not supported" next to the monitor. See what ones say not ready and ready.

Stevew84
I am using an Autoxray EZ-Read 2000. After I scan the data and press the " Mon" key, it tells me the following: MIL Status ON
Misfire Completed
Fuel System Completed
Comp Component Completed
Catalyst Completed
Heat Catalyst Not Supported
Evaproative System Completed
2nd Air System Not Supported
A/C Refrig Not Supported
O2 Sensor Completed
O2 Sensor Heater Completed
EGR System Completed

Is that what I should have been looking for? When I select Capture Mode, O2Tests, Test Results, or Vehicle Identification under the Mon menu, I am prompted to contact Autoxray for an update. When I read the trouble codes under data is when I got the P0420 code; and there are no codes when I look for the pending codes. I appreciate your willingness to help me out and your knowledge about such matters.

Miataowner37377