SHIFT TURRET BUSHING

1990 Mazda Miata

1990 Mazda Miata 4 cyl Two Wheel Drive Manual 173000 miles

I replaced the boot on the transmission shift turret. When the shifter was removed, I noticed that the small bushing on the bottom end of the shifter was cracked and the plastic insert in the slot in the large fulcrum ball was crumbling. I have obtained a replacement for the small bottom end bushing from the dealer, but their parts breakdown does not show or identify the insert that fits in the slot. Is this part available? Where can I order it?
John buerosse

If the dealers pars list doesnt have it, you might need to find a shop that specializes in manual transmissions. Any chance it was a piece of the shifter bushing?

Jack42
My shifter had at least 4 bushings. The 2 largest are narrow round washers that are flat on one face and spherical on the other. These fit on the top and bottom of the large fulcrum ball. A small bushing that is cylindrical on the outside and spherical on the inside force fits onto the small sphere ground onto the bottom end of the shifter shaft. The one I am missing was nearly intact but cracked and chipped when I removed the shifter. This one fits into the slot cut in the large fulcrum ball. It is anchored into the slot by a round cylindrical protrusion that force fits into a hole drilled into the fulcrum ball at the center of the slot. This bushing " coats" the inside of the slot with plastic (it looked like teflon) to make the shifter slip effortlessly on the locating pit.

John buerosse
Id try a trans shop that does manuals. They might have something that will work if nothing else

Jack42