DIFFERENTIAL ???

1990 Mazda Miata

Drive Train Axles Bearings problem
1990 Mazda Miata 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Manual

Hi,
My friend called me with this problem. When he went out to his car, he had found that no matter what gear he put the car into the rear wheels would not move. He even placed the car in neutral and was unable to even roll the car. Oh and yes the parking brake was off. When he looked underneath the car he found a large amount of fluid directly under the pumpkin ball. I my opinion it sounds as if the differential has locked up. What is your take on this problem?

Scott
Sedunn2004

Sure sounds like it. Best bet would be to disconnect the driveshaft and see if it will roll. If not the diff may be locked up. Also may want to try lifting and supporting the rear wheels and seeing if one wheel at a time will turn. If so it may be a problem with the pinion bearing. If not it is most likely the carriier that is stopping it

Jack42