TRANMISSION PROBLEM, POSSIBLY ELECTRICAL

1999 Mazda b3000

1999 Mazda b3000 6 cyl Four Wheel Drive Automatic 125000 miles

My B-3000 is having issues. When I start driving after the truck has been off it runs fine and has no problems shifting from gear to gear. It will run like this until it shifts in over drive and runs for a while (ie. 2 miles or so) then my overdrive light starts blinking on and off on my dash. When this light starts blinking and I have to change my course of the drive (ie. Slow to turn, come to stop and start) the transmission starts jerking hard between first and second gears. It also jerks from second to first on the slow down. If I shut my truck off, the overdrive light will shut off and everything will work perfectly again with smooth shifting. I think it is something electrical because of the symptoms, I just don't know what it is. I have not had a diganostics test done yet, and I do not want to hurt my truck from driving when the transmission is shifting so hard. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks guys!
Chaase321