TRANSMISSION SLIPS OUT OF GEAR.

1992 Mazda 929

1992 Mazda 929 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 130000 miles

I have had this car for nearly 15 years now with no major issues. Did all the maintenance as scheduled.

Anyway, just a few weeks ago, while driving, all of a sudden the transmission slipped out of gear and I coasted off to the side of the road.

The transmission just would not engage at all, it would shift through the gears, but it did not catch.

After the car cooled down a bit, the gear would catch for about 10-20 seconds then slip out again.

Anyway, opened it up and everything looks fine, no shrapnel or anything in the transmission pan, so there was no huge blowout in there. But I stopped there.

What I was wondering is if anyone has any ideas of where I should start? Fluid level was normal, and it was clean. Had the transmission serviced at 120k miles as scheduled.

Also, where could I find a build/rebuild schematic for this transmission, it would be much easier to work in there with an image of what I should see.
Andy D