STALLING

2004 Mazda 6

2004 Mazda 6 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 85000 miles

Engine stalls at unpredictable times while at idle in drive and during acceleration. OEM spark plugs and wires recently installed. Mazda dealer in NC has looked at it, connected computer to it, no solution. No check engine light shows up, so Dealer cannot troubleshoot without code from computer in order to claim repairs on extended warranty. Daughter is driving the car in another state, so I can`t get my hands on it. Any clues?
Slogue

Hello –

I need some more specifics on your vehicle to better assist you. Is your vehicle a 6 I or 6 S.

Since you can not get your hands on it…. We need her or someone there to do a couple of things so we can narrow it down. We need to figure out if it is electrical or fuel related. When this happens, we need to pull a plug wire off of the spark plug and insert something into the end of it and have someone try to start the car and have the metal object really close to a piece of metal on the engine and see if you are getting a good strong popping blue spark. Don’t have your hands on any part of the metal! If there is no spark, then it is electrical. If you are getting good spark then you need to get a fuel pressure check on the fuel pump to ensure it is putting out okay.

Thanks for the donation

Please let us know if what the final fix was for your car so we can better assist others. Thanks!

Find a car repair manual for your car repair questions.

ImpalaSS
Hi slogue,

Thank you for the donation.

When no codes can be retrieved, it usually is not easy to diagnose.

First we need to know if it is power or fuel supply that is causing the problem.
If it is power supply, it ususlly would cut off abruptly.
Fuel fault would usually bog with power losses before it cuts off.

Was it easy to restart when it stalled?
Were the dash indictor lights showing when it stalled?
What is the idling speed?
Any hesitation or power loss during normal driving or prior to it happening?

To KHLow2008,
Answer to questions: 1) Easy to restart - yes.
2) dash lights on when stalled - yes, all.
3) Idling speed - appeared normal at first, then hesitation and stall.
4) Hesitation or power loss while driving - yes, it has hesitated, run rough just before stall with no acceleration such as pulling in to a parking lot from the main road or siiting still in drive. It does not apppear to be happening while acceleration or manual control of fuel while driving, although the latter did happen once on a turn.
This is a 4 door sedan, stock.
To me it sounds like a fuel problem.

Slogue
Hi slogue,

I scanned through the Mazda Technical Service Bulletins and there is one article on a frozen main relay. It seems mpisture can enter the relay and intermittently causes the relay to fail resulting in engine stopping.

As the symptoms described seems a likely relay fault, I would suggest replacing it. It is recommended to replace and relocate the main relay and fuel pump relay with the modified kit for 2003 to 2005 models.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/192750_MainRelay04Mazda4_1.jpg

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/192750_FuelPumpRelay04Mazda6_1.jpg

PARTS INFORMATION
Part Number - - - - - Description - - - - - - - Qty. - - - - - Note
L3Y1-18-8BX - - - - - Main Relay Kit - - - - - - - 1 ---
L3Y2-18-8BX - - - Fuel Pump Relay Kit - - - - - 1 - - - - - 2003-2005 Mazda6 Only

You should check with the local dealer regarding warranty and see if it is applicable to your vehicle with the following references.

Reference Number(s): 01-009/07,  Date of Issue:   February 22, 2007
MAZDA: 2003 - 2007 MAZDA6
SECTION: Engine
Related Ref Number(s): 01-009/07