SOMETIMES STARTS, MOST TIMES DOESN'T.

1992 Mazda 323

1992 Mazda 323 4 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 200000 miles

I started having this problem so I took off the distributor and sure enough both the cap and rotor were long gone. I replaced the rotor and distributer cap and I ended up putting rotor on wrong and tried starting it. Realizing I didn't mark which way the rotor was on before taking the old one off I got out and got it on the correct way. After this. It started RIGHT UP, and I thought the job was done. Sounded fine for like a minute. Then I drove it, felt a very slight bog when I let off the gas. After I parked. Shut it off. Tried starting it again. Just kept trying to crank with no results. I've been trying to figure it out for two days now and sometimes it starts, most the time it doesnt. Sometimes it will start and be fine, other times it will start with it idling really odd barely holding on before it'll die. When I turn the key to ON I can't hear the fuel pump. But like I said SOMETIMES it starts right up and I even drove it twice for a good drive and it was fine. This is beyond me.

Sometimes the check engine light comes off. It'll stay on but usually go off. I've seen it even blink sometimes. Tried to use the diagnosis on it but couldn't really figure it out from what I read.

Any suggestions?
Montychesterfield