WON'T START, SUSPECT FUEL PROBLEM

1985 Mazda 323

1985 Mazda 323 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Manual 400000 Kms (est) the Speedo resests at 99 999 kms

Symptons: At first would cut out while driving (esp when cold) but could restart while in gear and rolling. If it came to a complete stop would not restart until left for awhile. Would start easily with fuel return line removed. Fuel return line replaced. Hole drilled in fuel cap to release pressure. Problem presisted, progressively worse. Fuel pump replaced to no effect. Ignition and timing checked and found no fault. Now it wont start at all even if the return line is removed. Battery is fully charged

I'm a student, and cant afford to take it to a mechanic, so Im a bit stuck and dont have any more options! I just hope its something I can fix without any expensive parts : (

Edit: Having checked with the previous owner, car has done very few Miles since full service, points replaced, timing set, new spark plugs, new fuel filters etc etc. I do notice that the fan turns on with the ignition and doesnt stop. Probably the temp sensor is blown. Doubt that would cause my current difficulties, since it was driving like that fine for ages
Drekk