LOUD SQUEAL; CAR DIES WHILE DRIVING

1991 Honda Accord • 4 cylinder 2WD Automatic • 244,000 miles

Hi there!

Yesterday I was driving approximately 50-60km/h when all of a sudden the check engine light appeared and the interior dash lights started to dim and then the car lost power and came to a full stop - al within about 15seconds. I tried to start the car again and nothing, it wouldn't even turn over. For the last few weeks - everytime I start my car there is a very loud squeaking noise coming from the engine area (perhaps a belt). The sound usually continues for a few minutes, and then stops completely. This is the first time the car has completely lost power like this. Could this be my alternator, battery, or maybe even main relay (i had it re-soldered a year ago and was told it could go at anytime)? I checked the belt and it seems tight.

Thanks!
Mdh4

The first thing you should do is have your battery charged and tested also pop your alternator belt loose and see if the alternator siezed up?Do you have a multi meter to do some testing?

Unfortunately I don't have a meter. Any other suggestions? How can I tell if the alternator seized up?

Mdh4
I just mentioned that pop the belt off the alternator pulley and see if the alternator pulley will turn freely by hand.

It you're dash lights went out you could have a bad ignition switch.

Hondatech1983