INTERMITTENT BLOWER

2001 Lincoln Town Car

2001 Lincoln Town Car V8 Two Wheel Drive Automatic 104000 miles

today the blower for the htr / ac just stopped working. After I shut the car down, checked the blower eatc fuse, it worked until the next time I got into the car. I made a short trip, no blower. About 2 hrs later, another short trip, blower worked. All seems to be well behind the cntrl panel, all indicators work, I can hear vacum actuaters working & the ac clutch cycles. Would this be a cntrl module failure? Maybe a relay somewhere? I don't know, thanks for any help
Jrelihan3@yahoo.com

Either the switch , the blower motor is on his way out if irratic in all setting or a bad ground at the blower motor resistor assembly.
if this happens in only one setting,then resistor may be the problem.
Most likely is the blower motor.
start doing this:
Disconnect battery negative cable from battery and properly isolate to prevent accidental reconnection.
Disengage the wire harness connectors from the retainer.
Disconnect the blower motor electrical connector.
Remove the motor cooling hose.
Remove the screws and remove the blower motor
Remove the wheel from the blower motor as follows:

Remove the push clip. Remove the wheel from the blower motor.

Blower motor cooling hose

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/46384_0900c152801e5f16_1.jpg

Blower motor mounting plate

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/46384_0900c152801e5f17_1.jpg

To install with the new blower.

Install or connect the following:

Wheel to the blower motor, if removed. Blower motor and securely tighten the screws. Motor cooling hose Blower motor electrical connector Wire harness retainers

Mathiaso
Where is the resister for the motor located? Attached to the motor housing?

The resistor for motor is located under the passenger side of the dash. You must remove the lower dash insulator panel to see the resistor. The resistor is located right at the firewall so the inside screws can be difficult to access. The resistor block mounting tabs are slotted on the firewall side so you do not need to remove those screws completely to remove the resistor block.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/46384_blower_resistor_block_1.jpg

Mathiaso
Natch, the thing worked till just about dark-30; when it quit, I put the fluke on the connector plug, with the black test lead grounded to the neg side of the battery; 1 wire read 11.7 & the other about.3. The blower speed selector was on " max". This was with with the ignition turned on & car not running, temp set to highest value & floor position button pushed. The schematic shows 2 wires gong to motor--1 for max & the other back roured thru thru resistor bank to the selector switch. I am about 98% sure this indicates a faulty motor. What are your thoughts?

Yes sir ; -)
Prior to removing a wheel that is to be reused, clean any corrosion from the blower motor shaft to prevent damage to the wheel mounting shaft.

You did a good job.

Mathiaso
I cannot get to the bottom screw w/o removing the wheel liner (it appears) there is not enough room either for my hand and/or tools. Is there a secret to getting this thing out?

Jrelihan3@yahoo.com
Possibly your blower motor resistor is stuck. Turn the switch on with the a/c on high, with the engine off, then hit the blower motor resistor. The fan should start working. Resistor is located on the fire wall behind the right valve cover. Also behind the heater hose. It's about the size of a deck of cards. Put a screw driver against it and then tap the screwdriver…. Hopefully the fan will start ! Good Luck
Rick

RickMar
I am NOT a happy camper. Bought a new blower motor, hooked it up before installing and it did not work. I tapped the module behind the valve cover & the blower started woorking. When it did not work a short while later, a small tap started the blower again so it appears that the module is faulty, NOT the blower motor. Now that we know what it is, what is the proper name for this thing so I can get another one. Thanks

Jrelihan3@yahoo.com
I can't see no module behind the blower moter unless it is the pcm!
Do you have a way to take picture of it?

Mathiaso
It is called a " Blower resistor" Rick

RickMar
Page 1 of 2