CAR SEEMS STARVED FOR POWER

1994 Lincoln Town Car

1994 Lincoln Town Car V8 Two Wheel Drive Automatic 118, 53 miles

I have a 94 Town Car 4.6L with dual exhausts. The car has 118K on it and has never given me a problem. I recently drove cross country from Vegas to NJ. It ran well and got around 24 mpg. Now it's runny like crap. When I start it, usually after sitting overnight, it will buck and backfire through the engine if you step on the gas while at idle. It idles ok, but needs at least five minutes before it can be driven. It's not blowing any smoke from the tailpipes and I'm not getting a check engine light. It does smell likes it's running rich. At low speed acceleration (like taking off from a light or pulling into traffic) it seems hesitant and under-powered. Once I get going, it' runs fine. It still has plenty of passing power at highway speeds and the gas milage is still good. I also noticed it won't burn rubber, even in reverse, which is something it has always been able to do (even without trying). It just does not seem to have the power. It was tuned up last years-new plugs, wires, filter, and a new MAF sensor. My local mechanic put the scanner on it but could not get a code. Could this be the O2 sensors? Or does my car simply dislike Jersey?
Sapper77