UNUSUAL INTERMITTENT BRAKE PROBLEM

Lincoln Mark VII

90 Lincoln Mark VII 5.0 120,000 miles (ABS equipped)
I have only had the car for a year, so I do not know what kind of history it has. This problem has happened ever since I got the car, and seems to have gotten worse over time. Initially, I did have a mechanic look at the brakes when I got new tires, and the visual inspection showed everything to be fine.
When braking slowly, the brakes engage normally. There is no pull, and it feels like all the brakes engage properly. When I have to " jump on" the brakes, the pedal goes hard, and the car decelerates very slowly, the pedal goes down very slowly, and the car pulls strongly to the right (psgr side). On more than one occasion, I have locked up what seemed to be just one wheel, which felt like the rear passenger side, but I couldn't be sure.
Now, the " tough pedal" happens unpredictably. It will always happen when I have to " slam" on the brakes, but now it will happen sometimes when normal pressure is applied. A week ago, my brake light came on. I'm thinking it's time for new pads, but I don't think this is a typical brake problem having to do with pads or rotors because it is intermittent.
Where could the problem be, and what can I ask them to look for when I take my car in to get new brakes and rotors (there is pulsing going on, too)
Thank you. The rest of your site has been helpful on other topics as well.
AMMCCLAIN03