COOLING AND LEAKING PROBLEM

1984 Lincoln Mark VII

Engine Cooling problem
1984 Lincoln Mark VII V8 Automatic 98,000 miles

I recently had the oil changed and heater coils replaced on my 1984 Lincoln Mark 7. When driving the vehicle home from the mechanic's shop, I encountered two (2) problems.

Problem #1 - I observed steam or smoke coming from under the hood. When I popped the hood, hot water was " boiling" in and out of the Coolant Reservoir. The mechanic now says I may need a thermostat.

Problem #2 - The oil ran out of the vehicle fast. I relaced the oil and parked my car at home. But, each time I start the engine, I loose oil. The ground is covered with oil. I am told that I could need front and rear seals.

What can I do to assess if the problems are the need for a new thermostat; front and rear seals; or whether the problems are the result of the oil change and/or heater coils by the mechanic.

My gut makes me distrust going back to that mechanic shop and I don't want another mechanic shop to charge me for repairs I don't need.
Bernice
Bernice Travers