MARK VII STARTING PROBLEM

1988 Lincoln Mark VI

My car (88 Lincoln Mark VII) has problems starting when it has been driven awhile. If I drive 20 or so miles and then park at a store, when I come out it will not start for about 20 minutes. It will crank ok, but it won't turn over. Also now it is starting to die on the road after driving awhile and won't start until it sits for 20 or so minutes.

It has 123,000 miles on it.
Qbart

Could be a couple of things, first the ignition module and pick up coil could be bad, or the fuel pump could cause that problem. When it doesnt start check for spark or fuel pressure to see which system has failed.

2CarPros Ken
Check also your fuel cap. I had a 1977 country squire that did the exact same thing. I realize FI and carb are way diffrent but it would be a simple cheap thing to check.

My breather tube had become clogged and the cap wasnt ventilating properly.

Hope that helps =)

Rainhopperroo
Thanks to both of you Ken and Rainhopperroo! For the time being my lincoln is running pretty good.

The first thing I did was change the pick up coil, before Rainhopperroo posted, I thought it was the easiest and cheapest thing to do. Well that had no effect whatsoever. I drove the car for awhile after that and it was rapidly becoming worse, cutting off while driving after awhile and taking longer than a 1/2 hour to start back up again.

I then finally changed the ignition module. It helped, it didn't cut off on me while driving, although I didn't push it to far but it still would have problems restarting after I drove it awhile.

The case cracker, I switched the gas cap with an 88 Ford Crown Victoria I have and " knock on wood" I haven't had a single problem starting or the car dying on me since I did that.

I don't know if the gas cap was the only problem, because it definitely ran better after switching out the ignition module, but it did solve it completely after I switched caps.

Again thanks to both of you but especially to Rainhopperroo, not in my wildest dreams would I have thought the gas cap was the problem. You probably saved the car from the junk pile, at least for another year.

Q

Qbart