STAYS IN SECOND GEAR - SOMETIMES

1997 Lincoln Mark III

1997 Lincoln Mark III V8 Two Wheel Drive Automatic 155000 miles

I just bought this car a few months ago and put about 1000 miles on it driving it back to my home. The car ran and shifted smoothly over the trip home and the following week around home. After I got the oil changed one day, I stopped the car and then got back in to go home. It shifted well for about a minute and then it stayed in 2nd gear after downshifting. I took it to my mechanic after it happened a few more times where it would run fine the first time I drove it in a day and then after restarting the car it would return to second and stay there. He called it defaulting, but could not find a bad sensor or anything. I don't know all of the possible contributing factors for this problem, but my oil pan leaks a bit and there is an anti-freeze leak as well. Any suggestions?
Jbhags