OVERHEATING

Lincoln Continental

1995 LINCOLN CONTINENTAL 105,000 MILES V8 REPLACED SERPENTINE BELT, RADIATOR, WATER PUMP, AND GASKETS AND CAR IS STILL OVERHEATING. IT HAD A LEAK AT FIRST AND WE PLUGGED THE LEAK NOW THE COOLANT DOESN'T LEAVE THE RESERVOIR. I WAS TOLD TO CHECK THE FANS, BUT BEFORE I PAY FOR THE SEVENTH TIME TO DO ANOTHER DIAGNOSTIC, WHAT COULD BE THE PROBLEM?
JOLANDA

Are you taking it to the same place?

How did you " plug" the leak?

Did anyone check the thermostat?

Bhugg
Hello I have a Lincoln Continental 1998, it started to overheat a little while ago so I changed the temperature sensor and the thermostat and it's still overheating. I thought that it might be a blown gasket but there are no bubbles in the cooling system, so I started looking what else could be the problem. I found out about the Valuable Relay Control Module, the one that is located on the top of the cooling fans. And it also said that this module is responsible for turning the A/C clutch off, and right before the car started overheating, sometimes the air conditioner would just turn off and then come back on. So I focused on this module. Can you please tell me if you think that this is the problem. Maybe you can tell me if there is a way to check this module. I searched everywhere for it but I can't find it. No matter where I look for it, I type VCRM and I they can't find it, even in the FORD website by part number. Maybe you can tell me where I can get one as well. Thank you very much.

RusMishania
Hello I have a Lincoln Continental 1998, it has somewhere around 130,000 miles on it and the engine is 8 cylinder 4.6 281c, it started to overheat a little while ago so I changed the temperature sensor and the thermostat and it's still overheating. I thought that it might be a blown gasket but there are no bubbles in the cooling system, so I started looking what else could be the problem. I found out about the Valuable Relay Control Module, the one that is located on the top of the cooling fans. And it also said that this module is responsible for turning the A/C clutch off, and right before the car started overheating, sometimes the air conditioner would just turn off and then come back on. So I focused on this module. Can you please tell me if you think that this is the problem. Maybe you can tell me if there is a way to check this module. I searched everywhere for it but I can't find it. No matter where I look for it, I type VCRM and I they can't find it, even in the FORD website by part number. Maybe you can tell me where I can get one as well. Thank you very much.

RusMishania
RusMishania, do you ever hear the cooling fans running? Turn on the a/c and see if the fans come on. If not, my software shows your car doesnt have the Constant Control Relay Module, it has low and hi speed fan relays. If no fan, use a test light and check for power and ground at the fan, get back with results

Jack42
I just put the Module and the two relays that come with the module on the same plastic bracket back in. I started the car and the fans weren't working. As soon as I turned on the A/C both of the fans came on and I think I heard the compressor come on.

RusMishania
By the way can you tell me for sure if this is the module that we are talking about? In the repair manual they call it VCRM Variable Control Relay Module, you called it Constant Control Relay Module, is it the same thing we are talking about? Here are few pictures of it.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/106456_P1030923_1.jpg

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/106456_P1030924_1.jpg

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/106456_P1030925_1.jpg

RusMishania
What is the exact production date of your car? (Sticker on inner d/s door sill). Does it still overheat? If it does, have it chemical tested for a blown head gasket just to be sure we arent chasing our tails

Jack42
The exact date on the door is 09/97. And to tell you the truth I don't think that there is a need to check for a blown gasket since I started the car yesterday and the fans weren't working but when I turned the A/C on both of the fans came on. Then the car got to normal temperature, stayed there for a little while and started to overheat. I checked the fans and they weren't working with or without the A/C. Somebody told me that it might be a problem with the PCM since the PCM monitors the temperature of the coolant and monitors the air and then sends the signal to the Relay's, one of them is for high speed and the other is for low speed ( the way I understand it), so it has to be something eclectic that commands the fans to come on. And I have no idea how to check the PCM or where to buy a new one. I heard something about reprogramming it, but I have no idea how to do that as well. I wait for your answer, please help.

Michael

RusMishania
Low speed relay- Check for power at #30 and 86 with car running, 85 should be the ground signal from PCM to turn on fan when it gets hot
High speed-Power at #1 and 3 running, ground at #2 when the PCM wants it to turn on. Check these things, if no signal from PCM when hot, might be time for a new one, or have the it reprogrammed at a shop with the proper equipment or more likely the dealer

Jack42
Page 1 of 2