AIR RIDE

1996 Lincoln Continental

Suspension problem
1996 Lincoln Continental V8 Front Wheel Drive Automatic 150000 miles

hello, on my air suspension, the air bags wouldnt air up. I noticed that my pump wasnt running, so I checked fuses relays. Everything was good. I ran a jumper to the pump and it turned on. Then I seen no air coming out of dryer. Took the pump a part and it was all chewed up. So I got a new one and hook it up and still no power. So I ran a jumper to the pump again and it worked. Found two leak on drivers side the line was cut on both and the sillenoid wire where cut to and hook them back up. No leaks now but wont inflate. There is only one air bag that will inflate but no other. And switch is on. Thanks
Jasongreene

Test the solenoids and check for leaks in airbags

TESTING THE AIR SPRING AND VENT SOLENOIDS

Venting test '90 - '94 Town Cars

Switch off the air suspension and disconnect the control module connector, then simultaneously ground the Purple/Light Green, Light Blue/Black and Pink wires. The rear of the car should lower. If not then check fuse U and try again if blown. Next, gain access to the compressor assembly and disconnect the air line from the drier. Then once again ground the Purple/Light Green wire and the left side should lower - ground the Light Blue/Black wire and the right side should lower.

From these tests you will know if both spring solenoids are working and if they are, whether or not the vent solenoid is working.

Venting test '95 - '97 Town Cars

Switch off air suspension and disconnect control module connector, then simultaneously ground the Brown/Pink, and Tan/White and Pink wires. The rear of the car should lower. If not then check fuse U and try again if blown. Next, gain access to the compressor assembly and disconnect the air line from the drier. Once again ground the Brown/Pink wire and the left side should lower; ground the Tan/White the right side should lower.

From these tests you will know if both spring solenoids are working and if they are, whether or not the vent solenoid is working. If this test shows both spring solenoids and the vent solenoid are venting, then it could be the control module is not sending the signals to vent. This may be a bad control module, height sensor or false door open signal.

Spring solenoid testing '90 - '94 Town Cars

Switch the air suspension off and disconnect the control module connector. Next, gain access to the spring solenoids and disconnect the solenoid connectors. Now ground the Purple/Light Green and Light Blue/Black wires on the module connector. Next, using a voltmeter or test light bridge the two terminals of each spring solenoid connector and you should have battery voltage (test light lit). If not then connect your voltmeter to the Orange/Red wire of the solenoid connector and to a good chassis ground and you should have battery voltage. If not, check fuse U. If fuse U is okay then you have a wiring fault between the power distribution box and the spring solenoid. If you have battery voltage on the Orange/Red wire and when the two-solenoid connectors were previously bridged you did not get battery voltage then you have a wiring fault on the wire (Purple/Light Green or Light Blue/Black) between the control module and spring solenoid. Finally, remove the jumper wires from the control module connector and with your voltmeter or test light bridge the spring solenoid connectors - if you get battery voltage then the wire (Purple/Light Green or Light Blue/Black) between the control module and spring solenoid is shorted to ground.

From these tests you will know if the wiring is okay. If during the previous venting test one or both air springs didn't vent and the wiring is okay, then it would be safe to assume that you have a bad spring solenoid(s).

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/52960_00061_3_3.jpg

The picture above shows a spring solenoid and retaining clip.

Spring solenoid testing '95 - '97 Town Cars

Switch air suspension off and disconnect the control module connector. Next, gain access to the spring solenoids and disconnect the solenoid connectors. Now ground the Brown/Pink and Tan/White wires on the module connector and using a voltmeter or test light bridge the two terminals of each spring solenoid connector. You should have battery voltage (test light lit), but if not then connect your voltmeter to the Light Blue/Pink wire of the solenoid connector and to a good chassis ground. You should have battery voltage but if not check fuse U, If fuse U is okay then you have a wiring fault between the power distribution box and the spring solenoid. If you have battery voltage on the Light Blue/Pink wire and when the two-solenoid connectors were previously bridged you did not get battery voltage, then you have a wiring fault on the wire (Brown/Pink or Tan/White) between the control module and spring solenoid. Finally, remove the jumper wires from the control module connector and with your voltmeter or test light bridge the spring solenoid connectors if you get battery voltage then the wire (Brown/Pink or Tan/White) between the control module and spring solenoid is shorted to ground.

Jnovack