REAR DIFFERENTIAL PROBLEMS

1991 Lexus SC 400

Drive Train Axles Bearings problem
1991 Lexus SC 400 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 65000 miles

I recently put the rear end of my car up on axle stands to bleed the brake lines after the recent brake job and I put the stands under the cv axles not knowing any better.
The next day I heard a clunking noise at high speed (80km) which turned into a knocking while coasting at low speeds the noises got louder as the car warmed up. With the brakes applied the noise is less

I took it to a shop and was told it was the rear differential and he showed me the large stud in the carrier was loose and wearing badly. I was quoted from dealer 2500 for a new diff and me not being rich went for a used one. Had it installed drove it home and started having the same problem as soon as the car was warmed up.

Took it back to the mechanic he takes a look and tells me there is too much play in the used one and that I will need shims, one wasn't enough but two was too much and I couldn't find any in between so I took that diff back and bought another used diff and had that installed which was in good shape and I have the same problem.

Mechanic tells me it is still the diff and that everything else seems to be working fine.
I have dropped a $1000 in parts and labor and still no closer to getting my car fixed.

Could it just be a got two crappy used diffs in a row or is something else causing the problem?
SoarerI6