CAM SHAFT

2009 Lexus RX 350

2009 Lexus RX 350 6 cyl All Wheel Drive Automatic 6000 miles

I took my car in to the shop becuase the engine malfunction light came on. Diagnostic says its a problem with the camshafts and service dept says they need to be replaced. Its covered under warranty, but I am concerned since the car only has 6000 miles on it. What could cause this problem and should I be worried about any other problems if the camshafts were damaged?
Msmerdon

Hi msmerdon,

Thank you for the donation.

Since the problem was detected by the engine computer, it should be a control problem and not a lubrication fault, there should be nothing to worry about as the fault is not going to cause any damages.

As Toyota is providing the repairs under warranty, there should be no worries about possible damages. They would replace whatever parts that could possibly be linked to the problem.

When problems occurs at low mileages, the most likely cause would be assembling fault, could be a minor item such as an O ring was damaged. This would cause pressure leakages and cause the VVTi system to malfuction and show the error code.

Are you able to get the trouble code so that we can understand the fault better?

Thanks. The service order says: P0015 camshaft position " B" - timing over - retarded (bank1)E
P0017 crankshaft position - camshaft position correlation Bank 1 Sensor B.

If the problem was an O ring, would they need to replace both camshafts?

The parts are back ordered and won't be available for 3 weeks, but Lexus says its safe to drive until then. Does that sound right?

Msmerdon
Yes, the problem seems to indicate internal oil leakages and there is a possibility there were some technical problems with the camshaft. Sometimes manufacturers would like to get the camshaft back to check if there were any manufacturing defects and under such circumstances, they would replace the camshaft even though it might not be necessary but without removal of the camshaft, we would not know the actual situation.

Lexus are playing it safe. Supposing they were to remove the parts for repairs without any replacement parts available and if replacement is required, they would not be able to complete the job for you, they would have a hard time answering your questions.

If Lexus says it is safe to drive, we have no reasons to doubt their judgement as they knows the vehicle best though it would be to your advantage if you have a recorded statement.