MY WHEEL FLEW OFF FOR NO APPARENT REASON.

2007 Lexus RX 350

Tires and Wheels problem
2007 Lexus RX 350 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 70,000 miles

Today on the way to the Lexus dealer because of a slight knocking noise I heard on Saturday, my front left wheel flew off as I was exiting the freeway offramp. The car skidded to a stop and the wheel disappeared into the bushes. I have sustained body damage as well as mechanical damage. It is a certified pre-owned vehicle that I bought in January of this year. We put on about 24,000 miles in nine months because of several cross country trips. I have maintained the car meticulously (oil changes etc.). The ONLY tire work that was done on this car was a replacement tire on the passenger rear. Since I've owned the car, no one has touched the front left tire other than to check pressure. No rotations etc.

The car was towed to the Lexus dealer. Initially they told me that everything would be repaired at no charge to me and now they are saying that they have not handled that wheel since they certified it just prior to selling it to me.

If no one has done anything to that tire, why did it just fly off? Could this be the result of a design or manufacturing defect?

Thanks.
Sbelto