COMPUTER CODE P0171

2000 Lexus RX 300

2000 Lexus RX 300 6 cyl All Wheel Drive Automatic 108000 miles

I'm driving to Chicago from DC and don't have time to take the care to another mechanic. Original mechanic pulled up a P0171 code which indicates need to replace the MAF--after he first replaced both oxygen sensors for $1000 and it still didn't fix the problem: engine light and track-off light still come on and stay on.
Two questions:
1. Is it safe to drive to Chicago and back?
2. Is it worth putting in the cost of further repair when the car's worth less than $10,000?

This site has been very helpful for a dumb girl like me. Thanks.
Just a dumb girl

2000 Lexus RX 300 Computer Code P0171

A lean fuel condition can be caused by: * Low fuel pressure due to a weak pump or leaky fuel pressure regulator. (Use a fuel pressure gauge to check fuel pressure at idle)

* Dirty fuel injectors. (Try cleaning the injectors)

* Vacuum leaks at the intake manifold, vacuum hose connections or throttle body. (Use a vacuum gauge to check for low intake vacuum)

* Leaky EGR valve. (Check operation of EGR valve)

* Leaky PCV Valve or hose. (Check valve and hose connections)

* Dirty or defective Mass Airflow Sensor (MAF). (Try cleaning the MAF sensor wires or filament with aerosol electronics cleaner. Do NOT use anything else to clean the sensor, and do not touch the sensor wires)

Dear rasmataz-thanks for the quick " auto reponse" but you didn't answer my questions: Is it safe to drive to Chicago and back?
Is it worth putting in the SS to repair?
I guess I should have donated more.

Just a dumb girl
Get the car rescanned again for code/s-To answer if it will take you there and back its hard to say. Cost of repair depends on what needs fixing that's causing the lean condition.

You need to get the components I've mentioned earlier checked one by one-I believe its worth fixing it

I appeciate your time.

Just a dumb girl