REPLACING TIMING BELT

2004 Lexus LS 430

2004 Lexus LS 430 V8 Two Wheel Drive Automatic 49000 miles

I took my car in for routine maintenance at the dealer where I bought the car new and was told that the mechanic noticed " wear on the timing belt". I was advised to leave my car so they could replace the timing belt at a cost of " around $1200". I thought that the timing belt was not that easily accessible to see if there is wear and tear so I was confused by this reccomendation especially given the low miles on my car for its age. I brought my car home.
I am planning to take a road trip covering a few states so I am wondering if I should do this repair now. I noticed that it is a routine repair at around 90,000 miles. Thanks in advance for your help as I am not sure what I should do especially since the guy told me I could cause major damage to my car if I delay this repair!
SF Limprecht