WHEEL VIBRATION

2001 Lexus GS 430

Shakes or Wobbles problem
2001 Lexus GS 430 V8 Two Wheel Drive Automatic 130000 miles

Wheel-speed vibration in front end and possibly rear as well felt from 75 to 82 mph. This has been unsolved for 30 months I've owned the car. So far we have tried:
Alignement, twice
New Tires, twice
Front struts and tie rod ends
New rotors
Straightened the wheels at a specialty wheel shop
Road force balance, three times

Sometimes the vibration is very slight, but it comes and goes, sometimes very annoying. Steering wheel wiggles and passenger seat backrest shakes. HELP!
John Stax

Has anyone checked the hub assemblies to make sure they are good? How about the front axles?

Racefan966
Not actually, but close. We bolted the tireless wheels back on the front and spun them looking for a wobble or any loosness to no avail. The frontend seemed very tight and no wheel wobble could be found. I was hoping to find some slop or maybe lug nuts that didn't match, or were worn, bent or anything, but nope.

Do you think this rules it out, or can you describe how one would perform the checks you suggest.

Have you found anyone else who's had this persistant problem?

Thanks for the prompt reply!
John

John Stax
I would use a automotive stethescope and listen to the hubs see if there is any noises. The bearings could be acting different under a load too.

Racefan966
You really need to listen to the wheel bearings and front drive shafts. I would use an automotive stethescope or long screwdriver and do the best you can to listen to it and see if it is making noise.

Racefan966