A/C PROBLEM

1995 Lexus ES 400

Air Conditioning problem
1995 Lexus ES 400 V8 Two Wheel Drive Automatic 180000 miles

My a/c was low and the compressor wasnt kicking on. I added I34 refridge to it. This made the compressor come on and blow cold. The next day the when I went to use the a/c, the compressor was kicking on and off. I added a can of stop leak and another can of I34. Immediately after adding it, it started coming out the fitting at the bottom of the cold side fitting. The compressor would kick on and it would blow out freon. What is this fitting and why all the sudden is it blowing it out like that
Advancedtitle

That's a pressure release valve and it's designed to release excessive pressure.

You probably overfilled your system and it spit the R-134a back out. Also, the reason your compressor was kicking on and off is there's probably a restriction in your system and the pressure is getting too high due to the lack of circulation.

There's several possible causes, none of which I should guess at. You need to hook up a manifold gauge and compare the readings to spec. If you're familiar with this process (and troubleshooting), I suggest you buy a service manual to obtain the specs and diagnostic charts.

If not, you really shouldn't try tackling this yourself. You'll need a qualified technician. And beware, all technicians aren't experienced enough to diagnos an a/c problem. You'll only pay out big bucks and have the same problem.

To get it right the first time, shop around for a specialty shop, one who has experience on Toyotas and Lexus brands.

Ernest Clark