SO, IT'S NOT THE STRUT, THEN WHAT IS IT?

1997 Lexus ES 300

Suspension problem
1997 Lexus ES 300 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 211k miles

Okay I have had this really annoying problem with my Lexus for months. It is a slight knocking on the rear of the drivers side near the tire. When it first started it was only when going around turns, my mechanic said it was the tire rod and bushing? I had that replaced maybe it got a little better, but never completely went away. Then the noise became very pronounced and not only when going around turns even on a straight road. He said it was the strut, so I got that replaced. Well, the noise has gotten slightly better, but it is not all the way gone. What else could it be?

Could it be that I just need an alignment and balance now? He didn't do that after the strut was replaced. Is that necessary?

RachelBG