LEXUS ES 300 ENGINE PROBLEM

1993 Lexus ES 300

Engine Cooling problem
1993 Lexus ES 300 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 177000 miles

Just had the radiator replaced. The car seems to be leaking coolant, and I have to put more in every week or so. While driving, I can see steam or smoke (not quite sure which) coming from the engine when I'm at a stop light. It's not a ton, but it's still noticeable. After a drive, the engine smells like something is burning for the first couple minutes after it's turned off. The temperature gauge always reads normal and it's never spiked up into the " overheating" zone. No noticeable decline in engine performance while driving, except for a high-pitched whine related to RPM's. I called a mechanic, but he said everything was fine if there was no decline in driving performance. Any idea what's causing the smoke/steam and burning smell? Granted the car does have a ton of miles and it's on it's way out soon. But we're college students and need it to last as long as possible.
Igrotenhuis

Have the tech who replaced the radiator check everything is installed correctly hose etc.

Dave H