ENGINE LIGHT FLASHING

2003 Kia Spectra

2003 Kia Spectra 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 69,500 miles

My car started acting up today. I was not able to drive on the highway, it started shaking and was barely moving then My engine light was and is flashing on and off. I checked the oil and that appears to be fine. I smell burning rubber when the engine is running but when I look at the car belts they appear to fine on visual look. Do you think my catalytic converter is going bad? I am pissed, never had a car problem with this kia before and I have had since 11,000 miles and have done all the maintenance required.

I don't have a job right now and would love to donate money but will someone take a promise to donate later when I get a paycheck?
Carmellamarie

Try taking it to Autozone or call around and find a shop that will do a scan for you for free, the light is due to the fact that the computer sees a problem, and it stored a code. This code will most likely lead to the fix for your car. Get back to me with your results

Jack42
If the car stopped moving with the CEL " blinking" and you smelled rubber then that's a clear indication of a worn timing belt, Perhaps some of the teeth are worn. Trying to keep the car running can seize the engine ! A blinking CEL indicates an engine misfiring problem.

Gorr66
Disregard the previous post. When the light blinks it means the PCM is seeing an issue but hasnt recorded a fault code, when it records the fault thel ight goes solid. Timing belts dont smell like rubber when they break, they just break. Not to mention a broken belt will keep the engine from running at all.

Jack42
When my car started shaking and the CEL came on " Blinking" I used the code reader and got the code P0302 (Cylinder #2 misfire). Cleared the code and did it again. Same code. Did some research and found that a flashing CEL " WILL" throw a code. Guess it depends on the make of car.

Gorr66
Thats a good thing, didnt mean to mislead you, but usually there is no code until it is solid. Is that engine Coil Over Plug (1 coil per cylinder)? If so move the#2 coil to another cylinder and see if the miss follows it. If it does the coil is bad. If not it may be a bad injector, you can do the same thing (swap cylinders) to see if the miss follows it

Jack42