TIMING BELT

2004 Kia Rio

2004 Kia Rio 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 123000 miles

I pulled up to a stop sign and the engine stalled. I tried to start it turned over, but would not start. I tried a couple more times and it made a strange clunk noise and did that each time I tried to start it. I had it towed to the KIA dealer. They told me it was the timing belt that broke and that the engine was toast. Something about the valves and piston. Basically it was like a grenade going off in the engine. Is this what would happen? I had no problems. No warning signs.

Thanks!
Jimbosox2004

HI there,

If the timing belt brakes and the engine is an interference engine, you will bend valves in the head as the cam belt brakes the valves will be stationary and the pistons will strike them, now all is not lost, I am yet to replace an engine when a belt brakes, what you will find is that you have bent a few valves which can be repaired, the head will have to come off, and it will cost a few $$$ but I would be very surprised if the engine is damaged beyond a few bent valves. This damage will occur in a micro second with no warning, this is why engine timing belts should be replaced when due.

Mhpautos