LOSS OF POWER

Kia Other

I have a 2001 Kia Sportage. I have loss of power when trying to accelerate. Took it to the dealer and the timing belt was replaced along with general maintenance of plugs, belts, oil change, transmission fluid change, coolant flush and refill and other basics. Also said the catalytic converter was bad and this was replaced since vehicle was under warranty with manifold, exhaust pipe gaskets, etc. That went with this. We drove the vehicle 60 miles on the return trip home from the dealer and the power loss started again. When you try to accelerate the vehicle it won't pick up speed and at times won't pick up speed no matter what you try. It also seems to do it more often once the vehicle engine has gotten warmed up, not at cold start. The vehicle has 66,500 miles on it and just spent over $800.00 to service it. Any ideas?
Greeneyelady50

Could be a number of things call the dealer tell them they made it worse and they didnt fix anything if need be talk to the service manager and explain the situation tell them your afraid of getting stranded and dont want to drive it back have them tow it to they're shop and make sure the lead technician in the shop works on it this time sounds like you had a kid in the shop mess with it hope this helps

Sdalton19
Its a good thing you covered the basics and by the dealer changing the cat was a very good start even if it wasn't the problem It WAS THE FIRST THING TO DO! Now that you have most of the basics out of the way it should be easier to narrow down your problem.
I would start by checking the vaccum in the manifold at the time of the problem(the dealership SHOULD have a vaccum guage) its as simple as taking off a vacuum hose from the intake and sticking this guage on(uplug-plug that simple). Compare the readings from the manuals to your vehicle, if yours are lower then it means that you still have a blockage in your exhaust(probably your muffle filled with catalytic debris).
If this is ok then continue by haveing them check the fuel pressure and associated grounds.
Another thing to do(pardon me but try this first) is to check and see if there are any engine codes.

Cody-ody
I can't believe when I read this. Exactly the same thing is happening to my honda civic 1994. After timing belt change and distributor and water pump change.I am bringing it to a honda dealer that is far away.I hope they will help me.I have to fix it.I cannot sell it like this. So far I have spent $1600 for a car that I paid $1700 to buy.

Kuklovod
I have a 99 sportage with 108000 miles on it and the check engine lite is on, it flickers some and goes out some, but when I accelerate it skips a beat hesitates and I just have to wait on it to catch up to get going, I feel like it wants to die when I floor it, so I have to just milk it along, sounds very much like your problem, did you figure yours out, can you help me, I have replace the coils, wires, plugs, it ran great for about 2 weeks, and the same thing started to happen again, can it be the fuel filter, any and all help is greatly appreciated

Loadder