HARMONIC BALANCER POPPING LITTLE SPARKS

Kia Other

There is a spark that jumps from the outside rim of the harmonic balancer (crankshaft pulley), over the damper material, to the rim of the inside (hub) of the pulley (where the bolts attach). It's a tiny spark that leaps over the little ¼” rubber damper material as the engine is running. It speeds up as the RPMs speed up. I'm going to remove it and reinstall it. I'm wondering if there was some insulating material that I missed during the exchange. I cannot afford to go to the mechanic. All suggestions will be greatly appreciated. I plan to make a donation.
ILUVMYKIA

Would be nice to know the vehicle. But, did you put on a new harmonic balancer? If so, other than the possibility that the sparks are caused by some metal touching it the only electrical item that will sometimes be behind there is the wiring for the TDC sensor and the crankshaft sensor. You need to determine if this is an electrical short or a metal to metal spark.

Bruce Hunt
Oops! Sorry, it's a 1999 Kia Sephia.

ILUVMYKIA
. And yes, I did put on a brand new dealer supplied harmonic balancer.

ILUVMYKIA
Is it possible that in putting on the balancer you have bent something so as to enable it to rub on the balancer?

Bruce Hunt
" Is it possible that in putting on the balancer you have bent something so as to enable it to rub on the balancer?&Quot; O, I hope not. I'll see.

ILUVMYKIA