DOOR WON'T LATCH IN WINTER

Kia Other

Dear sir:

My girlfriend has a 2000 Kia Sophia and in the winter time the driver's door will not latch. We took it to a local dealership and they said there nothing they can do. But this to me is a very big safety hazard. I found out a couple other people are having the same problem. The dealership stated there is water getting into the latching mechiz. And freezing up. Is there anyway to solve this buy using heave grease and lub everthing up or get it replaced? Plz help me I don't want my girlfriend driving like this for to much longer. Thank you for you help.

Kevin Kuhn
EMT/FF
Paemt149565

I would say this is a design flaw. There have been several such over the years. What to do about it. Check the web to see if you can locate a possible recall on the item. Most of the mechanics don't know or care about the problem and don't have the time to find out about any recalls or impending recalls. The best I could offer is that you use a light silicone grease on the latch mechanism in the door. There is a spray grease I have found. Get the car warmed up in a garage to allow the moisture to evaporate and apply the grease.

Good luck!

Bruce Hunt