'05 SPORTAGE MUSTY SMELL WHEN AC ON

2005 Kia Other

On my wife's '05 Sportage, there is a musty smell when you first turn on the AC after sitting for a while. Also, we will get a light fog coming out of the dash vents. It does not last very long.
Is there a possible filter that needs replaced or a place that water collects and turns musty?

Starr87

Hi there,

You can have mildew and mold build up in the ducts of the A/C?Heater system, you can get a treatment that destroyse these smells, the one that I use here in Aus is a spray that you spray into the vents, it works very well, you should be able to get somethingalong the same line where ever you are. Also water can get trapped in the system, there will be a water drain tune for the A/C system make sure that it is nit blocked, the fog is moisture on the evaporator gassing off when the temp drops quickly when the A/C is turned on, so there is some moisture trapped in the system, hence the stale smell as well.

Mhpautos
I agree with mhpautos and would add to check for a cabin air filter replacement.