WILL NOT START

2005 Kia Optima

2005 Kia Optima 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 79000 miles

changed timing belt, car will start once and then shuts itself down when turning the key to the on you can here noise like clicking from the passager side under hood just wonr start. Please help if I miss anymore day I loose my job.
Tazzmini

Check the alarm/immoboliser is off

Dave H
What is that, the car has no alarm. It will start once and that is with spraying starting fluid in the mass airflow and run for about 3-4 mins. After that no matter what it will not start again when it is running it does run a little rough. I ran a scan on it it keeps saying code p0338 p/d. Witch is the crankshaft sensor but it is pending.

Tazzmini
Some models are fitted with an alarm sysem !

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/266999_kia_54.jpg

You are not getting fuel delivery ... check fuel pump fuse and relay are good ... check you have hot feed at fuel pump ... check pump is good by adding 12v direct to pump !

the pending code may just be there because it will not start .. but I would double check my timing marks !

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/266999_kia_55.jpg

Dave H
Did all that still no start and no spark code reading po338

one more thing could you please tell me where the timing mark is for the cranshaft pully, that seem it just mite be the problem

Tazzmini

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/266999_kia2_8.jpg

Install crankshaft sprocket "B" onto crankshaft. Ensure flange is properly positioned. Lightly oil outer surface of spacer, and then install spacer to right counterbalance shaft, with rounded edge of spacer inward.
Install right counterbalance shaft sprocket. Tighten flange bolt tightly by hand. Align timing marks on each sprocket and on front case. See Fig. 4.
When installing timing belt "B", ensure there is no slack in tension side. Install tensioner "B" in center of pulley on left side of mounting bolt, and in pulley flange toward front of engine. See Fig. 5. Align timing mark of right counterbalance shaft sprocket with timing mark on front case.
To tighten timing belt "B", lift tensioner "B" so tension side is pulled tight. Tighten bolt to secure tensioner "B". DO NOT turn shaft, or belt will be over-tightened.
Ensure timing marks are aligned. Ensure center of span on tension side of timing belt "B" can be depressed by hand. Ensure belt deflection is .20-.30" (5-7 mm).
Install crankshaft sprocket flange and sprocket. Ensure flange is mounted in proper direction, with chamfered side toward block. Install special washer and sprocket bolt to crankshaft. Tighten sprocket bolt to specification. See TORQUE SPECIFICATIONS.
Insert long screwdriver through plug hole in left side of cylinder block to hold counterbalance shaft in position. Install oil pump sprocket, and tighten nut to specification. See TORQUE SPECIFICATIONS. Install camshaft sprockets, and tighten bolts.
If auto tensioner rod is fully extended, place it in soft-jawed vise, and compress rod until hole in rod lines up with hole in auto tensioner housing. Insert stiff wire to hold rod in this position. Install auto tensioner, leaving wire in place.
CAUTION:If timing marks on camshaft sprockets do not line up properly, DO NOT rotate sprocket more than 2 teeth in either direction, or valve and piston will touch. If necessary, remove and reposition camshaft sprocket.

Install crankshaft sensor. Set timing marks of camshaft sprockets with notches on upper side of rocker cover and dowel pins straight up. Align crankshaft sprocket timing marks. Align oil pump sprocket timing marks.
Install timing belt in order around crankshaft sprocket, oil pump sprocket, idler pulley, exhaust camshaft sprocket, intake camshaft sprocket and tensioner pulley.
Gently raise tensioner pulley so belt will not sag, and then temporarily tighten center bolt. Ensure timing mark of each sprocket is still aligned. Remove wire from auto tensioner.
Rotate crankshaft 2 complete turns clockwise. Leave in this position for about 5 minutes. Measure auto tensioner protrusion "A" (distance between tensioner arm and auto tensioner body). Ensure auto tensioner protrusion is .22-.35" (6-9 mm). See Fig. 3. Install timing belt lower cover and upper cover.
Fig. 4: Identifying Front Case Timing Marks

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/266999_kia1_1.jpg

Dave H