TIMING QUESTIONS!

2004 Kia Optima

2004 Kia Optima 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic

I am replacing the timing belt on a 2.4l KIA Optima. I installed the new belt, thought I had all the sprockets on their marks, so I tried starting it and it ran ruff with a slight misfire. I turned it off and checked the marks again and I noticed the crank, oil and balance sprockets were still in line with one another, but the cams were off by 180 degrees.
I removed the belt again to try and adjust the cams on to their marks again but the left sprocket won't move and the right on will only move a 1/4 rev.

Now what do I do? Did I ruin the valves by starting it for a couple seconds? Help!
Usnthem

Yes it is an inference engine. You most likely did some damage if a camshaft is out 180DEG. The camshaft is not turning because of two reasons:

1) you wrecked the engine and it's seized up somehow

2) the engine may still be fine, however when you attempt to rotate ONLY the camshaft without moving the crankshaft, you end up fighting against the bottom end since the valves will hit the pistons. You must rotate the crank and cam at the same time. Yes I know it sounds tricky.

here is a timing diagram to help you out. goodluck.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/276698_kia_timing_1.jpg

F4I_guy
Hey F4I_guy,
I really appreciate the input. Hopefully it is the later of the two. I think it is. I wasn't sure if I should turn the crank or not and I didn't want to mess anything else up.

That diagram isn't the same engine as mine. I have a Diagram I found from another post on this site, thanks for providing one though.

So as I understand it, if I turn the crank 180 (always clockwise) I will be able to turn the cams onto their marks, correct?

Then I turn the crank again until it lines up on it's mark.

I should be okay from there, or is there still a chance that when I go to start it I might ruin or damage something?

Last thing I need is to screw up my wife's car : )0

Usnthem