IGNITION LOCK CYLINDER

1988 Jeep YJ

Steering problem
1988 Jeep YJ 6 cyl Four Wheel Drive Manual 148000 miles

My son is out in Colorado going to the AF Academy. He bought an 88 YJ from his younger brother and is trying to replace the ignition lock cylinder. Is there a retaining screw under the turn signal switch assembly in the column that holds the Ignition Lock cylinder in place? I am a mechanic and own my own shop but haven't been inside a Jeep steering column before unfortunately?
Jeepin Jimmy

Assuming he does have a key and the Jeep does not have airbags, perform the following operations to remove the lock cylinder.

REMOVAL: Remove the turn signal switch.
Insert the key in the lock cylinder and turn it to the ON position.
Remove the key warning buzzer switch and contacts AS AN ASSEMBLY using needle-nosed pliers, or a paper clip with a 90 ° bend.

NOTE: Some steering columns may have a retaining screw holding the lock cylinder in the column. When servicing this type, simply remove the retaining screw and remove the lock cylinder.

With the ignition switch still in the ON position, insert a thin screwdriver into the slot adjacent to the switch attaching screw boss (right-hand slot). Depress the spring latch located at the bottom of the slot to release the lock cylinder.
Remove the lock cylinder

INSTALLATION: To install the lock cylinder, turn the key to the LOCK position. Insert the lock cylinder in to the housing far enough to contact the drive tang. Force it inward and move the ignition switch actuator rod up and down to align the components. When the components align, the cylinder will move inward and the spring-loaded retainer will snap into place locking the lock cylinder in the housing.

If the lock cylinder is retained by a screw, tighten the screw to 40 inch lbs. (5 Nm).

Install the key warning buzzer switch.
Follow the ignition switch installation procedures to adjust the ignition switch.
Install the turn signal switch.

Bluelightnin6