ENGINE SQUEALING NOISE-97 4CYL.

1997 Jeep Wrangler

I had my Water pump and Serpentine replaced in sept 2006. Last week there was a squealing noise under the hood that would occur between 2k-3krpm. Higher than that the noise disappears. I took it to the shop, they said the pulleys all look fine and replaced the belt again, but the noise still continues. What could be causing this to happen even after the belt was replaced? The tension on the belt is fine. Could this be the result of the excessive amount of Salt thrown down on the roads due to recent snow/ice? I don't want to spray any lube like WD-40 as I was told this would contribute to the degredation of the Serpentine Belt.
Rictus58

Look in the pulley grooves for debris. Clean out as necessary, anything in there will affect the belts ability to grip the pulley. Rev the engine while watching the tensioner to be sure it is moving through its entire range, might be weak and when the belt grows with RPM it cant maintain tension

Jack42
Would using a pressure washer work?

Rictus58
I usually use a small wire brush. Have to remove any rubber in the grooves

Jack42
Now there is a loud knocking noise coming from the engine. Is this related?

Rictus58
Sounds like maybe a rod or main bearing was going bad, possibly.

CHEVYII
Is that an expensive fix?

Rictus58
You cleaned the pulleys and now the engine knocks?

Jack42
Pulleys cleaned. The sound went away for a few days. Then on the way to work, I heard what sounded like a snap. The belt looks to be slightly off center on one of the pulleys now. Ow there is a clanging noise (I'm sure that's a technical term) when the car is idiling. At highway speed, that sound is not there.

Rictus58
Take the belt off and listen for the noise to eliminate the accessories as the source

Jack42
Well, I took the Jeep back to the shop. One of the Idle Pulleys was missing bearings. They did the repair free of charge. Thanks for all your help. It is greatly appreciated.

Rictus58