EXHAUST MANIFOLD

1995 Jeep Wrangler

1995 Jeep Wrangler 4 cyl Four Wheel Drive Manual 150000 miles

I've been told I need to have my exhaust manifold replaced. I have a friend who does automotive work, but is not a " trained" mechanic. How easy is it to replace the manifold?
Blueotter

It is not too bad if he has enough experience. You just need to unbolt the old one from your exhaust pipe then unbolt it from the engine. You may also have to remove the intake manifold. The exhaust manifold should come out then. When putting a new one on it is a good idea to change gasket and manifold bolts. If you are changing it because it is cracked you should consider putting headers on instead of the manifold, as the manifolds do crack easily. Benefits of the headers over the manifolds include increased horsepower and torque and a much longer lifespan. If you would like instructions for installing headers let me know and I can post for you. If you just want to stick with the OEM exhaust manifold replacement then I hope I helped. Goodluck and thanks for using 2Carpros. Com!

Hello - Not knowing your friend makes that a hard question for me. On your vehicle you have to remove the intake manifold also. There are numerous components attached and in the way of removing the manifolds. Understanding that there is bolt tightening sequence that must be followed: Knowing that especially on the exhaust manifold the nuts/bolts may need to be soaked in a penetrating oil sometimes since they are almost welded on at times to include the exhaust attached to them is a biggie.

Some things to know is has he done this before? Has he ever removed heads, or pulled engines before. Then yes, he could surely do it. Most of it is a step by step sequence that a general mechanic can follow to include the correct bolt tightening sequence and the use of a torque wrench.

For you. The customer in this part, please make sure you understand this isn't always easy. A rough labor rate that he is saving you is about $700.00. Things happen though. He may have to end up cutting the exhaust flange bolts off. That's additional cost, low but still cost. Worse case, there is a technical service bulletin out on some of your manifold bolts/studs breaking. That means your heads may have to be pulled to get them out. So these things are not his fault that you would need to understand and realize that if you were at a shop things would happen there too. He is very kind to offer. Believe me. Not an easy task and if you were to help then it would give you a better understanding of the problems encountered and give you a sense of security that he does a good job. As I said, I feel a general mechanic can do it, just be understanding if thing break.

Make a small donation! (We will make sure your question will be answered promptly and it will help us be able to continue to help others - Thanks)

Find a car repair manual for your car repair questions.

ImpalaSS