TRANSFER CASE BINDING QUESTION

Jeep Wagoneer

I drive a '93 Jeep Wagoneer v8 with all time 4WD, hi-low-neutral, and 97k miles.

When I drive for distances over 30 miles I start having a problem with the front end hopping when turning either left or right.

Short drives around town are fine and even after long drives if I let it sit for 5 minutes or so then it is fine as well.

A local repair shop has explained to me that this is the transfer case binding once the fluid overheats and that the transfer case needs to be replaced.

However, this problem only recently started and that was after having the transmission rebuilt. Prior to my transmission going out and having it rebuilt I did not have this problem. I was able to drive all day without any symptoms of binding.

Immediately after replacing the transmission I start having these 'binding issues'.

The repair shop initially told me that after speaking to someone at Jeep they were told that some type of anti-slip gear lube was recommended.

After several weeks of waiting for this gear lube to come in I am now being told by the shop owner that he doesn't recommend this, that it may cause more harm than good and that the transfer case should be repaired at a cost between $400 - $600.

So now I have several questions:
1-Is there anything that the shop could have done during the rebuild of my tranny to cause the binding problem with the transfer case? It seems too coincidental that the problem did not exist before the repair work.

2-Does the anti-slip gear lube actually work or is it like a band-aid solution to a bigger problem? Why would Jeep recommend it in the first place and then flip-flop weeks later?

3-Bottom line - what would you recommend, use the gear lube or repair the transfer case?

Any advice on this would be greatly appreciated.

Oh and all the tires are the same size in case you were wondering.
Inthysite