EATING BATTERIES

1981 Jeep Scrambler/CJ8

1981 Jeep Scrambler/CJ8 6 cyl Four Wheel Drive Manual

Not sure what the problem is. Guess I wouldn't be here otherwise. The Jeep seems to be going through batteries pretty fast. They start fine and slowly they don't turn the motor over as fast. Then it has to be jumped. Then I wind up getting it replaced. Wondering if it could be an alternator not charging the battery properly, or fly wheel too tight (be kind, not a mechanic). But it seems starter is having a hard time spinning it. The battery is rated for the the 258 engine at 590/735. Or should I get a larger battery?

Just trying to get an idea of possible causes before I take it in and have to pay for them to even look at it. Hey, maybe I can do something about it myself.

Thanks in advance.
Jackalope

Get both the alternator and battery load tested if okay could be a short circuit or something is still On that's causing the battery to drain overnite