NO COMPRESSION

Jeep Liberty

My mother has a 2002 Jeep Liberty with a V-6 3.7 motor and there is no compression on the front cyl. And only 10 lb compression on the 2nd cylinder on ther passenger side of the motor.

She owes 2 yrs on the vehicle and does not have alot of momey for repairs, and I'm not very familiar with these new engines.

Any information would be very helpful and appreciated. It is a shame that a vehicle cannot make it past 98,000 miles before something major tears up in the engine.

Thank you for any help
Chada

Hi there,

With 2 cylinders side by side low on compression, one would expect that the head gasket between the cylinders has burnt through. To prove this an air pressure test can be done, With one of the suspect cylinders at T.D.C. An air fitting is screwed into the spark plug hole. Low pressure air is fed in. And you will hear it leaking out the other cylinder, you may get a little leak by from the valves, but a fire ring breach like this is quite obvious to a technician. If auto, be careful that the air pressure doesnt kick the engine around, if Manual do it in gear and with the hand brake on.

Good luck

Mhpautos