P0500 CODE: NO SPEED SENSOR INFO.

2002 Jeep Liberty

2002 Jeep Liberty 6 cyl Four Wheel Drive Automatic 77000 miles

Hi, I have an 02 liberty. The speedometer is dead and the check engine code is P0500 - malfunctioning A vehicle speed sensor. I found broken wires coming off the sensor, located on top of the rearend. I got the repair kit from Chrysler. I cut out the bad section of wire and soldered the new wires onto the old ones. Did a very thorough job and am sure the connections are solid and well insulated.

To my disappointment, when I went to test the repair the indications were the same. Managed to make it to the parts store again and the code was the same, P0500. Tried clearing the code and it came back within a few miles. The care runs but stalls out periodically, as it did before I worked on it.

I'm sure the connector is secure as I checked the resistance of the old connector before I took it off: 11 ohms. When I put the new connector on I measured the ends of the wires and it was also 11 ohms. My questions are: 1.) Is there a polarity involved with the wires for the VSS? 2.) What else could be wrong? 3.) Does it seem likely that the VSS would fail at the same time as the wiring?
Bo123